Creativity, one of the 24 character strenghts. How to boost it?
Updated: Sep 19, 2022
As you know from my last blog article, Seligman and Peterson came up with 24 character strengths that make up the best of our personality and thus have a positive impact on everything we do, think and are. On the website of the Via Institute, one can do a free survey which will rank your 24 character strengths. Our top strengths help us overcome difficult phases in our life, such as grieving, job loss, having to adjust to a new environment and take on new challenges. Cultivating our strengths will make us stronger and happier.
Today I want to talk about creativity. According to the Via Institute, Creativity is thinking of new ways to do things. It involves producing ideas or behaviours that are original. However, originality is not enough: whatever is created, whether an idea or a product, must also be useful or adaptable.
If you are facing change, or you want to do something new, you have to use your creativity. For example, in my case, in today’s world, marketing my new coaching business is a challenge, one I like though! The marketing techniques have changed since I started my professional career in 1995😱. On the one hand, marketing has become much more complex due to the wide choice of communication channels. On the other hand, it’s also much more fun with lots of easy- to- use tools available.
For some people creativity comes easy but for others it takes lots of energy. Creativity forces some of us to exit our comfort zone creating a lot of opportunity for personal growth.
So how can you boost your creativity? Here are some ideas:
1) Go for a walk, run or swim as this will boost your cognitive abilities.
2) Surround yourself with inspiration: yes, for example go to places and events where you will be inspired by people, activities and/or art.
4) Let yourself be bored. Doing nothing will stimulate your creative thinking.
5) Meditate: just sit, close your eyes and welcome all your thoughts and sensations. Try to meditate on a regular basis (daily if possible). Besides stimulating your creative thinking, meditation can also result in a multitude of physical and mental benefits, including relaxation, calmness and happiness!
6) And last but not least! Think about your previous experiences in life; How and when have you been creative in your life? When were you faced with situations where you had to do something new and different? How did you approach the situation? Did you use your creativity? Can you apply this to your current situation?
Finally, if you need help and /or a sounding board, just hire a coach (me of course😉) who will help you to find and apply your creativity that already exists inside you to face your challenge!
Thank you for having read my blog!🙏